Just recently one of my favorite fellow bloggers Caitlin from Southern Curls and Pearls posted three of her favorite winter dinners. Since lately I have been all about the slow cooker, one pot and one sheet pan meals, I couldn’t wait to try this recipe she shared for Skinny Baked Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas for Two from The Cookie Rookie!
I decided to recreate this recipe with simple ingredients from Trader Joe’s that I typically always have on hand. I made it twice so far this week and tweaked the original just a bit for our personal flavor. Everett said it most definitely needs to be “added to the rotation.”
As a busy and now very pregnant mom I am ALL about the easy clean up that comes with this new sheet pan trend for dinner recipes. Lay down some tin foil and the pan virtually cleans itself. A cutting board, knife and one mixing bowl is all you need.
The versatality of this recipe is also key. My husband is pretty simple when it comes to food so he doesn’t love all the toppings. He does like his loaded with the chicken. I on the other hand love to hog a substantional portion of the veggies. I enjoy the different colors and textures and flavors when I top mine with fresh pico, avocado slices and a bit of cheese – hey – it’s for the baby! I frequently swap Greek yogurt for sour cream in my cooking and can barely tell the difference. It is a great way to cut fat but still give the texture. Plus, there is no shortage of Greek yogurt in this house (toddler staple.) The first time I made this I used full fat yogurt to toss the chicken in. The second time I used fat free and there was absolutely no difference in the chicken’s flavor and juiciness so I will go with fat free from now on. This easy recipe would be such a good topping for a Mexican salad bowl which may be my next endeavor.
Sheet Pan Ingredients:
- 1 (1lb) package of TJ’s thin sliced skinless chicken breasts
- 2-3 bell peppers (I used one red, orange and yellow)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- heirloom tomatoes
- drizzle of TJ’s olive oil
- 1 packet TJs Taco Seasoning
- 1 pre packaged small container of TJ’s organic fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Assembly Ingredients (adjust to taste):
- 2-4 TJ’s whole wheat tortillas (depending on size)
- lime wedges & fresh cilantro
- 1 large avocado
- TJ’s Double Roasted Salsa or TJ’s fresh Pico de Gallo
- either TJ’s organic sour cream OR additional Greek yogurt
- TJ’s shredded cheddar or queso fresco
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Line sheet pan with foil
- Thinly slice the peppers and onions. Half or quarter the tomatoes. Add the veggies to the mixing bowl with a tiny drizzle of olive oil to coat.
- Lay the veggies on the sheet pan.
- Next, slice your chicken into strips and place those in the now empty mixing bowl.
- Add the container of Greek yogurt, chopped fresh cilantro, and taco seasoning. Stir to coat the chicken.
- *I have texture issues with chicken so I always use a knife to poke the chicken several times before cooking to tenderize the meat and break up the fibers.
- Add the piece of chicken to the veggies on the sheet pan.
- Cook 20-25 minutes until the chicken is done and the veggies are tender.
- The last 8 minutes, add the tortillas (wrapped in foil) to heat in the oven.
- Assemble your fajitas with the toppings and garnishes of your choice.